Pages

Monday, February 20, 2012

Betty Crocker Pumpkin Spice Mix and Toffee

About a week ago, one of my friends - currently living in England - shared this on Facebook:
For future reference boiling a can of condensed milk for 2.5 hours does indeed make toffee!!!
I was more than intrigued, but had to ask, dump it out, or the whole can? She confirmed the whole can, covered in water.

So, there is currently a can of condensed milk beginning to boil on my stove.  I figure that I need to make something with it, and I still have a stock pile of pumpkin flavored goodies from the fall. Because of the versatility, I think the Betty Crocker Pumpkin Spice Cookie Mix, or any of the dry mixes, are good to have on hand. I glanced through bettycrocker.com for some ideas but didn't find anything in entirety. I did like the idea of a pumpkin spice bar. It had oats in it as well. I think I am going to go off of that and mix up my own Pumpkin Spice and Toffee Cookie Bars. Hopefully it will go well with the Pork chops marinating in a mixture of soy sauce, honey, garlic and pearl onions still waiting to go in the stove.



Honey Garlic Pork with Pearl Onions
(modified from recipe on Recipes.SparkPeople.com)
2 pork chops
1/2 c honey
1/4 c lite soy sauce
4 cloves garlic, some minced
1 jar pearl onions and liquid





  1. Marinate the pork chops in the honey, lite soy sauce and garlic for a couple hours
  2. add the onions and liquid about 30 mins before cooking
  3. dump everything into a pan, cook at 375 for 35mins




Pumpkin Spice and Toffee Cookie Bars
1 bag Betty Crocker Pumpkin Spice cookie mix
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
2 large eggs
1 stick of butter
8 tbsp water
1 can sweetened condensed milk




Place the entire can (remove the paper) of condensed milk into a pan, cover it with water and boil for 2 1/2 hours.










grease 5x11 pan (larger if you want to make them thinner)










combine cookie mix, cocoa powder and old fashioned oats






 add eggs, butter and water, stir until everything is combined






bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes

allow to cool









top with the toffee once it is finished




EDIT: The cake was a bit dry but tasty, so next time I will add more moisture to it. I always should have added more when I use oats. Eventually I will learn.

As for the pork chops, I will cut back on the soy sauce, or replace it completely next time. The taste was interesting but I don't like a strong soy sauce taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment